Monday, January 28, 2008

Monkey Socks!

Everybody is doing the Monkey. This is my first pair, but I now an official monkey maker.

Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A.

Yarn: Wollmeise Sockenwolle. Color: Pfefferminz Prinz, Light.

Needles: Knitpicks Harmony Double pointeds, US size 1.5 (2.5mm)

Pattern Review: Fantastic pattern. I am already a fan of Cookie A socks, and the Monkey may be the very best.

The instructions are easy to follow and have great results. The socks are worked from the cuff down, though I have seen people work them toe-up. I have also seen people knit the purls for a very quick knit, but I basically followed the pattern as written.

Modifications: Just a couple of things to report. First, I did one extra lace repeat on the leg to make a slightly taller sock.

The bigger modification was what happened when I reached the toe and realized I knit one too many repeats on the foot. I could either:

1. Make a very big sock. A sideshow Bob kind of sock.

2. Frog back the last bit of knitting and start the toe decreases where they were supposed to go.

3. Work some drastic decreases to make a wedge-shaped toe and call it a day. (Of course I chose this option)

The toe looks a little funny because the lace continues until the end of the sock, but it fits well!

Yarn Review: The beloved Wollmeise. This is some pretty special yarn and I couldn't be happier with it. The colors are amazing and the feel is pleasant. The yarn base is composed of many plies, tightly spun. When washed, the socks soften up quite a bit.

I realize there is something obnoxious regarding bragging about hard to get yarn. And yet, I am doing it anyway.

Overall: Very bright, very cute, very fun. I used a very popular pattern with some highly coveted yarn, how could I fail? (Don't answer that)

I'm glad I was able to finally USE the Wollmeise. I was just leaving it on the shelf out of fear of ruining it.

Lesson of the day: Use your good yarn. If I can, you can.

5 comments:

Macoco said...

Your Monkey turned out great, that color is so pretty. Definitely use the good yarn if you have it! ;)

AR said...

Awesome monkeys! I may have to take another look at that pattern. I always need more handknit socks, anyways.

Natalie Rush said...

Your monkey socks look amazing!! I'd love to try the Wollmeise yarn. It looks great and I've heard tons of great things about it. :)cc

Anonymous said...

OMG! I think I NEED that black/maroon yarn! Your socks are great! I haven't tried the Monkey yet, but maybe soon

Wendy Stackhouse said...

Just gave you a Nice Matters Award over on my blog! Nice socks, too!