Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Garter Rib

Every once in a while I have to make a very simple sock. I get tired of the constant challenge of working complicated yarns into interesting stitches, so I went to the happy place: Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch.

Garter Rib

Pattern: Garter Rib by Charlene Schurch

Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock DK. Color: Olive Grove. Bought here.

Needles: Knitpicks Harmony 32" circular (magic loop), US size 2 (2.75mm)

Garter Rib

Pattern Review: Fantastic pattern, naturally. Charlene Schurch is a pioneer of sorts and has made sock knitting accessible to everyone. The patterns are easy to follow and written to accommodate the many sizes and techniques of the knitter.

These socks are worked from the cuff down, though one could easily work them toe-up. I followed the pattern as written. Garter rib is a well-known stitch, and very very easy to do. There are many more complicated patterns in Sensational Knitted Socks as well, I just happened to pick this one. There are cables, lace and colorwork too!

Garter Rib

Modifications: Not really a modification but I made the sock a little taller because I am tall.

Yarn Review:
I should say that I am already a fan of Cherry Tree Hill yarns. The colors are fun and the feel is pleasant. DK weight yarn is a double treat because I only had 48 stitches on the needles, so the project flew quickly.

I think the color was one of the limited/lottery/potluck sort of things where you grab it if you like it because you might not ever see it again. These colors in particular could have been made into some ugly yarn, but it's quite pretty somehow. Who knew what was possible with rust, pistachio ice-cream and purple?

I'm not sure where the concept of Olive Grove entered the picture but I haven't ever been to an Olive Grove so perhaps the color is well-named.

Garter Rib

Overall: Very colorful, very cute, very well-fitting and stay-upping. A simple pattern + pretty yarn = a good deal. The timing was nice because I am designing several sock patterns right now and needed some mindless knitting.

My head is somewhat clear to tackle more complicated projects now, for which I am grateful. There is no end to those projects, nor is there an end to my need to clear my mind.

Garter Rib

I would suggest some simple knitting to anyone stuck in a fussy project/messy moment in life. It really helps unlock the brain... However temporarily that might be!

1 comment:

T.M. said...

Very nice and I love the colors!