Sunday, July 06, 2008

Tour de Fleece - opening weekend

I'm spinning again! After a long hiatus I'm happy to report that some real spinning happened this weekend.

Day 1: July 5, 2008: Brest to Plumelec

Despite opening day jitters, I sat down at the wheel and started spinning up some fiber as if I hadn't just taken a break for the better part of a year. Just like riding a bike, it came back to me.

Wool blend

The fiber is a blend of mohair, wool and alpaca in a natural charcoal color. I bought it from Bear Dog Fiber at this year's Black Sheep Gathering. It's soft, fluffy, and easy to spin.

Tour de Fleece 2008 Day 1

I split the roving in half and spun up two singles as thin as I could do them on my bulky flyer. I used a trick I had read about where you zigzag the yarn through the hook to slow the draw... it works!

This is all rather shocking because:

1. I haven't spun in ages

2. I never spin thin or consistent

3. I rarely spin just one kind of fiber

4. I usually spin art yarns

So, my style is evolving. I thought this might happen after such a long break.

Day 2: July 5, 2008: Auray to Saint-Brieuc

A day for plying. I sat down at the wheel and watched the Tour de France and plyed the charcoal yarn.

Tour de Fleece 2008 Day 2

I think it looks good. I'll have a better idea how I feel about this yarn tomorrow when I wind it onto the niddy noddy and can count the yards.

In summary:

Just like in the actual Tour de France, I declare my own spinning challenge to be off to a great start!

No comments: