Saturday, July 15, 2006

PVC niddy noddy

Using instructions found here I finally made myself a niddy noddy and the best part is that it only cost $3 for all the supplies! Happy!

It's not much to look at and it has a funny name but this device will make a huge impact in my spinning. Usually, I spin some singles and ply them together onto a bobbin. I let the yarn sit on the bobbin overnight. Then, I wrap the yarn around my dining room table chairs. This step is a major drag. It involves walking around the table, wrapping the yarn over the tops of the chairs which I've measured out to be a yard apart. If it's a small amount of yarn (80 yards or less) I just use two chairs. A larger bobbin full gets the whole do-dah. Then I lay down while the room spins because I just walked in circles over and over and over. Then I give it another day before setting he twist. To do that, I remove the chair yarn and place it in hot water for 20 minutes. Then I wring it out carefully, towel-dry, and hang it over a clothes hanger in the shower, with a full spray bottle hooked over the bottom to weight it down. Simple. You have yarn.

The niddy noddy allows me to skip everything after the plying! I can wrap the yarn around the noddy from the bobbin and let it sit there. I can steam set the twist while the yarn is on the noddy. I can let the yarn dry on the noddy. This is the best $3 I ever spent. No picture because it is ugly.

By the way, the guy at my local hardware store was a real jerk about cutting the PVC for me. I only wanted one 18-inch length and four 6-inch lengths. I guess it was a drag for him to cut it up but I asked on the phone first if it was possible. I think I just got the wrong guy when I went in there. Oh, and he cut the 18-inch one long. This is actually a major pain because the 18-inches is a half-yard. Yards are the way yarn is always measured. Now I measure in 20-inch increments. That means math. Math is hard. Less happy now...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you think it's ugly, but pictures please!

Star said...

Ok! I'll post some later. It is ugly though!

Wendy Stackhouse said...

I started with one of these, too. Don't worry about the length as the joints add some inches as well. If he had cut it to 18" it would still be a bit long.

I skip even more steps than you, though. I wind the yarn onto the niddy, tie it in a couple of places, take it off, steam the loop in the teakettle steam and hang it from a hanger, done. That way I can make more than one yarn start to finish in one session. This is great if I'm doing samples. You can also have a shorter center piece of PVC for sample skeins and switch them out when you want.

Glad you're having fun!

Star said...

these are some great ideas! I was thinking I didn't want to tie up the niddy for a few days with all of this. I'm new to the niddy thing obviously but I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. I think I was being cheap. But it turns out you can have one for cheap! I can't imagine trying to get another piece of pvc cut at my local hardware store though. That guy would kick me to the curb! I'd have to go in on his days off.

Anonymous said...

I'll go in there and get the PVC cut for your next niddy. Let him give me a hard time!

(might be the toughest thing a dude ever said on a knitting and spinning blog.

Star said...

Alex! I can just see you asking for help with a niddy noddy. Did you know what you were getting into with me?

I have the best boyfriend, seriously. Right?