Thursday, June 26, 2008
Tour de Fleece 2008
The Tour de France is coming! It begins on Saturday, July 5th. I can hardly believe it's been another year but here we are again and I am really excited. Welcome to the third annual Tour de Fleece - an online spin-along for people who spin yarn and play with fiber.
This year there are some changes. Actually, let's call them improvements. We have teams and prizes!
The first Tour de Fleece was in 2006. We had 16 spinners and a lot of fun. Last year was much bigger, with 138 spinners, and even more fun. I wonder how many we'll get this year?
The concept is simple, They spin, we spin. A real spinning themed spin-along.
Want to participate? There are three ways. You choose - do one, two or all three:
1. Sign up in the comments here. Please include a link to your blog if you have one.
2. We also have a Flickr pool here. Join the group and show off your homespun in the pool!
3. (NEW THIS YEAR) Be sure to check out the Ravelry group as well. There is already a lot of action happening over there!
If you want to give it a try, or just follow our progress, or are a fan of the Tour de France, JOIN!
Guidelines (NOT RULES):
1. Spin every day the Tour rides, if possible. Saturday July 5th through Sunday July 27th. Days of rest: Tuesday July 15th, Monday July 21st. (Just like the actual tour)
2. Spin something challenging Wednesday July 23rd. (The last hard climbing mountain stage in the Tour - the famous L’Alpe-d’Huez)
3. Take a button if you want one. Then we can use the button on our blogs in show of solidarity. Take it from here or grab a clean one from the flickr pool.
4. Wear yellow on Sunday July 27th to announce victory. Why not wear yellow on any day you feel particularly successful? (Yellow is the color of the race leader in the Tour - but here we are all ‘race leaders’)
5. Other colors if desired: Green (sprinter - think FAST), Polka-dot (climber - as in uphill), and white (rookie)
Teams: Join one, or many, or none. Sign up here or in the Ravelry group. (I can't stress enough how great the Ravelry group is)
- Peloton (The main group. Everyone is in the peloton at some point)
- Rookies (first years)
- Sprinters (fast and/or high mileage like lace)
- Climbers (conquer mountains, big personal challenges)
- Breakaway (Art yarns)
- Lantern rouge (You will participate as much as possible but you may skip days here and there. Cheerleaders welcome.)
- Wildcards (This is for people who want to form their own team. This includes sponsored teams, like those affiliated with a specific fiber shop or people who live in the same town, etc.)
The teams are inspired by the actual Tour de France.
Prizes: (more on this later)
So far we have some fantastic fiber-related prizes donated. We could use more. Just let me know if you want to donate. Email starina AT hotmail D0T C0M. Sorry not to make it a clickable link, I get enough spam as it is.
Start training... NOW!
There are 401 Tour de Fleece members on Ravelry!
Extra special players who sign up here & TEAMS:
Peloton: (EVERYONE - people who sign up in the comments here - way more on Ravelry)
2. Carole Knits
4. Twinkle Toes
8. Blogless Ebeth
10.Janice in GA
12. Soprano Spinner
18. Blogless Judi
33. Linda Watson Mickelberry
35. dragon knitter
58. Judith Detert-Moriarty
61. Sally comes unraveled
70. Jen the bread freak
Subgroups: (you can join one, none, or several)
Linda Watson Mickelberry
Sally comes unraveled
Jen the bread freak
Janice in GA
Linda Watson Mickelberry