Friday, April 13, 2007

Fiber Friday 4/13/07

I apologize for the poor quantity of posting this week - just crazy busy of course. Here we are again at the best day of the week: Fiber Friday: Friday the 13th edition. I have a few skeins of homespun to show off today so I'll get right to it!

I've had a week of extremes, and I'm searching for the middle ground... Do you feel the drama yet?

First up we have a blend of natural wool and alpaca spun with hand-dyed blue mill ends into a worsted-eight single yarn. While spinning, I put in some bright white shiny sari silk here and there for texture and interest.

I also re-visited the domino theme this week with a black and white (and a blend of the two) yarn plied with glitter crochet cotton strung with dominoes and buttons.

The last yarn here is pure black wool plied with holographic thread strung with white seashells.

Lately I've been really interested in how colors relate to eachother. I'm also fascinated that we all have opinions regarding colors. I'm always surprised when people say that they hate a whole color. (like yellow, I hear that a lot) Think of a daffodil. How can you hate them?

Of course I have preferences, and those evolve over time. And there are specific shades, tints and tones I don't care for. Fine.

So recently I've been exploring contrasts and neutrals. I am into subtle muted tones paired with bits of something bright right now. But not dayglo. I don't like dayglo...

Oh no, I'm a hater afterall! NO!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi. I wanted to click on over from Craftster and tell you the black with the seashells is absolutely stunning. One of the most beautiful yarns I've seen in a long time. I love your work!
Sarah

Wendy Stackhouse said...

I can do dayglo, but MAUVE, blech!

Faith said...

I love the blue one- it makes me think of what I'd like to see in the sky over the city skyline but never do.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I hate to be redundant, but I also love the blue and brown one. I would love to wear something done in those colors.