Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm cheating on my socks

Well, it was bound to happen. I am an extremely monogamous knitter ordinarily but something about knitting two pairs of lace socks in a row has gotten to me. Or perhaps it's the restlessness of waiting for fall to hit. Who knows?

Yes. So, I cast on a bulky scarf even though the second Campanula sock is not yet finished. Trust me, this is a very big scandal around here.

The free pattern is Short Row Rib Scarf by Ceris Morgan. Found in Magknits, warm 2005. Yarn: Noro Transitions. Needles: US 11.

The pattern is fun and the yarn is lovely but I'm not sure if I like it yet. Why? 7.5 inches is a little wider than I'm used to for a scarf and it's going to take more than the 2 skeins I have on hand to complete it. If I'm going to stick it out, I'll have to work in another color from my stash and hope for the best.

I don't have a lot of Noro experience and this is my first Transitions knit. It's a nice yarn that changes fiber content as it changes colors. This is impressive since different fibers usually require a different amount of twist in spinning. By the way, the angora parts of the yarn do shed a bit, for those curious.

I also decided if I was going to cheat, I might as well keep going. I don't even know who I am anymore. I knit a small swatch of the Mulberry yarn I scored from Spinning Yarns Online. Man I love this yarn! They're having a 10% off your first purchase sale, by the way.

So it seems not only am I a cheater, I am an enabler as well. I guess if I am venturing down a dark path I want some company. And yet even as I write this I am feeling badly about the unfinished sock. I am going to have to eventually accept my nature as a monogamous knitter. Even though in this moment, technically, I am an Adulterer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that scarf and the colors are amazing! I am totally like you in that I hate knitting more than one project at a time. However recently I set aside my Icarus shawl to start working on xmas presents. I feel totally guilty!

Wendy Stackhouse said...

Oh, the torment!! Congratulations on the ribbons!! I haven't been yet, though. Any idea how I did????

Yeah, it's all about me, sorry! I won't make it till probably the 21st. Blech!

Congrats, again. Wish I could do the spinning contest again this year, but I'm camping AND have a singing gig that day.

Star said...

thanks! The Icarus shawl was meant to be cheated on I think. (!)

Soprano - I'm coming over to your blog now but you'll be very very happy with your results!

Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks so much! I wonder which one...

Nobody else I know has been yet and they don't post it on the web anymore, ho hum. I really appreciate your letting me know!!!