Friday, May 03, 2013

Favorite Things Eight

Hi pals! Hope your week is going well. I am going to take a moment to check in with a new post about favorite things. Surprise, surprise, hard questions again.

1. Favorite Tree: Pseudotsuga (aka Douglas Fir)

Douglas Fir
photo by bilge-water via flickr

I love trees and I don't really trust anyone who doesn't. Redwoods! Fruit trees! Pretty trees! Angry trees! I love them all. Today I choose the Doug Fir for many reasons... It's a symbol of the Pacific Northwest, and the official state tree of Oregon, where I call home. Evergreen trees provide hope during the long winter with their fresh color and pine-y fragrance. You may have had this one in your house if you do Christmas. You certainly have written on paper made from it. The Doug Fir grows quite tall and has funny petals (3-pointed bracts) within the cones. Love it!


Cones
see the center cone? photo by Vivian Aubrey


I even made a sock pattern with a lace cuff inspired by this special cone:

Laurelhurst Socks
Laurelhurst Socks, photo by Vivian Aubrey


2. Favorite Woodland Creature: Three-way tie for first!





{Part of a Friday series with AlexVivian and Lee that celebrates our power to discern, discriminate, decide and declare. Please join us in the comments or on your own site if you have a few favorites, too.}

1 comment:

Unknown said...

killing me with that baby bunny!! gahh!!!

p.s. my kapcha is mentruum. wha?