Friday, October 20, 2006

Fiber Friday 10/19/06

FIBER FRIDAY! In the you don't know what you got til it's gone department, I have some yarn to show off today.


There was very little spinning in the last six weeks. I confess. But look at this stuff here.

Stats: 138 yards, 5.4 oz. Thick, thin, but mostly bulky. Single ply with a lot of texture.

Blend of merino, targhee, rambouillet, cotswold, mohair, recycled sari silk, nylon, firestar and angelina sparkle.

I started with a big paper bag (a basket would be more romantic but I believe in honesty) I rummaged through the plastic bins I store fiber in. (a cedar chest, in my dreams) I grabbed handfuls of fiber I wanted to use and tossed it all in the bag.

I sat down to spin and reached in the bag and spun whatever I had in my hand. This worked well for me since I always try to control everything too much. (talking about the yarn, people) And I accidently make self-striping yarn too often.

This fall I think I'm into asymmetry, odd numbers, randomness, unexpected scale and... staying up late.

I don't own the yarn anymore, but I hope it turns into something interesting.

6 comments:

Zarah said...

Well, you did a great job with it - I love the randomness. I've been thiking about doing something similar with leftover yarn bits - maybe a "random" scarf and hat?

Amanda said...

That yarn is profoundly beautiful. You've inspired me to spin more of my roving!

sopranospinner said...

It looks great! Where did you send it off to? A swap?

AR said...

Whoever got that yarn is lucky! It's gorgeous!!

Star said...

wow! so nice everyone! Thank you. I sent it off in a swap indeed.

KnitXcorE said...

deluxe :-) If you're into assymetry and you can't let the OCD go... Try using numbers based on Fibonacci's method... It sort explains that even randomness is not so crazy.