Friday, June 30, 2006

No, no, no. This can't be happening!

ESPN.com - OLY/TDF2006 - Contenders Ullrich, Basso barred from Tour de France

STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain. Obviously Lance Armstrong won the Tour last year. But Basso finished second, Ullrich was third and Mancebo fourth, making them all frontrunners to win the Tour this year.

My whole world is crashing at my feet. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. I can't even editorialize yet. Just take in the news and try to process it.

The Tour starts TOMORROW people!

2 comments:

alex said...

This is terrible. I can't believe it!

Star said...

I know! I'm SO sad about it. Did you see the article keeps updating itself and now Vino is out too? The top five finishers last year are OUT. (Only Lance retired) This is my number one sporting event of the year and it's been tainted. I can't help but feel for whoever wins it will be bittersweet. What is a victory if it's not against the best in the field?